Petronas Employee Reviews

Active and Expect Working Long Hours to meet dateline
Other Work Task (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur7 February 2019
Working culture was typical to any other oil and gas company.

Need to be visible to higher management if you want to excel in your career.

There are times that you have to be away from family due to job demand. Sometime it can hit 3 months away from family due to nature of engineering works based on location assigned.

Depending on whom you're reporting, you have to learn how to work as team and do not be selfish.

You have to learn to work independently and always think out of box. There were times that you need to adapt to new working environment.

Be prepared for change and don't get yourselves stress unnecessarily.

Career progression is not a straight forward. You'll need to attend technical training and later been assess by external parties to determine your competency. If you fail, you'll stuck at the same position and salary will be at ceiling.
Pros
Bonus based on Performance, Flexible working hours
Cons
Long Hours; Career Progression via Assessment
Condusive work environment
QA/QC Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur30 January 2019
Every employee is given the chance to shine. The organization is very much structured in a sense that career development is well taken of by the management
Great place if you want to advance your career
Senior Instrument & Control Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur3 January 2019
Competetive culture, need to work hard to get to the top. Great colleagues, great bosses if you're lucky. I had great bosses throughout my 13 years here. Very understanding on any personal/family requirement.
Pros
Big salary
Cons
Too much bureaucracy/red tape
Good Career Progression & Benefits
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur3 January 2019
PETRONAS provides a good training for many of us to acquire both technical and commercial skill as well as provide leadership training for potential leaders. Salary is also good and commensurate with your performance. Provides a lot of opportunities to grow and to be a good leader that will spearhead future company direction.
Work environment is acceptable depending which department you are in. In general, work place is conducive.
Pros
Good salary among Oil & Gas company and job security
Cons
Poor at implementing certain issues or items.
Great working environment
Operations Readiness & Assurance Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Kerteh - Terrenganu1 January 2019
I was so happy with my working years with Petronas. Workplace culture was diverse. The hardest part of the job was spending more time in meeting than focusing on my department business. My most enjoyable part of the job when we celebrating with my team after we passing a milestone achievement of the project.
High Performance Culture
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur19 December 2018
After nearly a decade here, I can say Petronas is transforming into world class oil and gas company, upstream and downstream. It demands a very fast learner, however you will be provided with paid trainings, team guidance and coaching. High profile and international opportunities are abundant. You can go very far if you are the right person, in the right place, at the right time, working with the right person. Employee benefits are expanding so you can manage your work life balance better, possibly the best among Malaysian companies. With high performance culture, you are expected to be at your best at all time, innovative and energetic.

With that also, comes the appraisal system that might be seen by some as barbaric as you might need to go up against your colleagues to be the top talent, and there can only be one. And somebody has to be in the bottom to take the fall. Your annual appraisal rating will be marked for life and your ticket to better future, or your downfall. Results matter most but visibility is everything. Since implementation of VSS and less attractive contract, job security might be a challenge.
Pros
Continuous transformation, supportive working environment
Cons
Annual appraisal system, rigid staff mobility
improve my experience about oil and gas
Cashier (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  kota kinabalu16 December 2018
- i know how to calculate oil in meters
- from this job i have experience how to be responsibility person
- i can enjoying working there with nice talk with customers
Hierarchical Place, very good benefits, good advancement
Executive (Transformation Projects) (Current Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur13 December 2018
A very good and safe working space for everyone, with good management, training and career advancement policy in place. With the ongoing digital transformation, this company is going to provide advanced working space in the near future.
fun workplace with supportive teammates
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Pengerang11 December 2018
-consolidating manhours for 30+ packages
-improved my Excel skill (eg: PivotTable)
-learned more about construction
-always had breakfast, lunch and dinner together
Pros
free breakfast and dinner
Best first experience
RETAIL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  PENDANG8 October 2018
I really like to work in petronas as my first experience in work but I really want to try another experience in my study field.. And I want more workerholic experience .. More job in working hours
Pros
Good job environment
Cons
Little job competition
A great place to learn
Instrument Engineer (Former Employee) –  Miri27 September 2018
A great place to start your career as the company give a lot of opportunity to the young lads. There is a program where every young engineer has to participate and learn from it.
Pros
Training
Cons
Unclear job description
Excellent Learning Environment
SL1M GEES Petronas (Former Employee) –  Port Dickson24 September 2018
Who knows learning and developing your personal attributes can be fun? I learn it here from the wonderful trainers and friends that we truly can be supportive to each others development.
A progressive employer
Head Technical Safety (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur21 September 2018
I was a Senior Technical Safety consultant in a Project to update all the Safety Cases for all PETRONAS facilities in Malaysia beginning with Sarawak, Sabah and East Malaysia.
I also managed the delivery of the finished products by way of one-to-one presentations to the workforce.
The management team were supportive and the workplace culture was one where staff wanted to learn
Pros
flexibility with work time
Nice workplace to work for
Risk Assistant (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur20 September 2018
The salary is very good, nice people, lots of work need to be done. I do my internship there, and what I can say about the internship is that we have lots things learned from the organization.
Very supportive staff.
Industrial Training at HSE Department (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur19 September 2018
All the staff is very supportive to support whatever jobs given in order to give more experience to the trainee. Have given the opportunity to join tasks by following the staff to the site at Sabah.
Pros
Always gets free food during a meeting.
Cons
Nothing.
A great working environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur10 September 2018
This is the place to grow as a professional and learn so much about the oil and gas industry. A great platform to build your career and become specialist/expert in which ever field you choose to be in
Productive Workplace
Internship (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur28 August 2018
Excellent workplace, benefits were good. Very punctual and productive. Helpful colleague and the working environment is great.
Learn more about corporate world.
Productive environment
Junior Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur27 August 2018
I am very honored to have an experience of working there and getting an acknowledgment from Head of Project Delivery Onshore and also from Manager of PD -Onshore.
Pros
Great bosses
Cons
Lack of staff
could be a world class opaerator
Subsea Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur17 August 2018
Petronas has potential especially in the subsea oil and gas development, but its lack of experience in developing prospects is playing a major role in confidence to splash the the cash.
Pros
relatively strees free atmosphere
Cons
lack of confidence in subsea developments
fun workplace
PUMP ATTENDANT & CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Kuala Pilah6 August 2018
learn basic accounting. The schedule for workers are balance which are each workers get one day to rest. The most enjoyable part of the job is serve the customer when they need our help.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks