Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Service Associate Front Office executive (Former Employee) –  Traders hotel kuala Lumpur1 April 2018
Great company for ever, the company provide all staff needed from accommodation, training environments and of course paying good salary company always give opportunity to the staff to grow up their career
BANQUET (Former Employee) –  Sabah26 December 2018
First of all, shangRi-La hotels are the best resorts in southeast asia and even around the world. ShangRi-La hotel offers a variety of excellent services for customers' needs. What is interesting about this Resort is that it is close to the beach which has an average of 40 acres of land, resort and spa that is very beautiful for tourists staying there, there are various activities and interesting places there. I was a former employee of the banquet at the hotel that this happened when I had finished my studies in middle school then I wanted to find my work experience and I chose shangRi-La resort and spa for my first work experience.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Shot breaks
second job
Commis (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur17 November 2018
i really did enjoy working in this hotel and I've been working here for 2 years plus in a french fine dinning restaurant and i really did learn a lot in this kitchen . This one of the most enjoyable work place i ever work .Reason of leaving this company is to seeking a greater opportunity in other company and willing to upgrade myself.
Pros
the working environment and staff meals
Cons
management
Fun in kitchen and more get knowledge about Shangri-La Food Safety Management
kitchen (Former Employee) –  shangri- la putrajaya22 December 2018
everyday follow rule and regulation by Shangri-la. Always get ready for every task when chef give me. always follow HACCP by shangri-la food safety management t
Good environment and exposure to culture exchange.
IT Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Tuaran11 October 2017
Good place to work and to build up your knowledge, communication skills, and best of all, once you're in, they will treat you as part of their family.
Pros
Free lunch, medical benefits.
Cons
No comment.
Not a good place to work!
Director of Engineering (Former Employee) –  RRR - Shangri-La Rasa Ria Kota Kinabalu3 August 2017
Frequently power surge and tripping by SESB electricity provider which keeps you busy. You will have tons of work to do especially when audits comes. At least 6 audits a year. Really crazy!
Pros
Good salary, bonus and benefits
Cons
Micro Managed especially Top Management
productive
Intern (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur, MY15 March 2017
I was only there for 4 months as an intern and I've been through the main departments like front office, housekeeping and food and beverage services. The staff benefits are superb as they have the nicest staff meal among the whole Kuala Lumpur. If you considering of finding a place for internship, it is strongly recommended because they are patient to the trainees.
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Penang, MY21 May 2017
The people in this resort are always friendly, the culture of
the workplace is fun and very enjoyable. Need more training and development for the staff to ensure their knowledge are up to date.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Low salary
I learned a lot
Banquet server (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur24 May 2018
It was a good place to work to be prepared for moving to America. My duties included preparation, serving and clean up. I learned about how work to make customers feel satisfied and at ease.
Very systematic and located at strategic place in KL
Senior Steward F&B (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur5 March 2018
The hotel is so amazing and beautiful.
The service is tip top and the management is 100% good.
There is a lot of benefit towards staff.
We can gain more knowledge and experience by working at this hotel.
If You Don't Mind Constant OT and Long Hours...
Executive (Former Employee) –  M075 October 2015
This is a great place for you career growth, if you are single do not have heavy commitment (example : family commitment) and do not mind working for long hours. The heavy work load just force you to learn more and fast.

Do not expect fun at work place, you don't have time for it.

The organisation culture needed to be improved. People prefer to keep their mouth shut rather than speak out. After that, they lose concentration on their job and leave organisation after a while.
Pros
Free meal
Cons
extremely heavy workload and always insufficient manning
This is my part time job
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur30 January 2018
Very stressful. I learned how to serve dining table. Management is bad. Angry supervisor in unfriendly group. Hardest part of the job is serving the VVIP. Im not enjoying the job. Work just for money not for passion.
Pros
Epf
Cons
Bad Environment
Fun place to work but poor management
Secretary to Director of Rooms (Current Employee) –  Kota Kinabalu6 March 2016
Shangri-La's is a good place to work and a right placer for career expansion. I start as a trainee to service associate and now working as an executive personnel (SL Secretary) in this industry. I need more opportunities to expand my career as administrative/ personal assistant / personal secretary in other fields that is providing this post.
Pros
Staff facilities as Canteen & Locker
Cons
45 minutes breaks & secretaries are allowed to go out of hotel for lunch
fun
Waitress (part time) (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur17 January 2018
i serve food and beverages to vip. i learned how to do task as organize table manners also to cooperate with other teammates. it was a very valuable experience even it was a part time work.
Tired is the most fun when the peak time just over.
Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Kota Kinabalu10 February 2016
Typical Day : Everyone have the season, what we do, we give a limit everyone with maximum 11 Hours per day to work.
It's all to balance you life with outside.
Management : Sometimes good, sometimes not but everyone have the reason why its become good and not. That is mentality that have to put in everyone mind.
Co-Worker : Everyone easy to handle as long the was no jumping task.
The hardest part : The deadlines.
The Most Enjoyable : Everyone eat, laugh, sad and even crying together.
Pros
Free Meal (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Supper)
Cons
Healthcare, Transit.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Tuaran12 September 2017
i learned a lot of things when work there and also can interact with travelers there. Their management are good . the hardest part of the job maybe you have to do work fast and u have to quickly clean the room so that travelers can use the room. I am so enjoy working there because i can earn tips from the travellers there .
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Productive, enjoyable and learned more on hotel hospitality.
Banquet Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur18 December 2017
Very pleassant working hours and I have surrounding with good people and learned many things in Hotel enviroments. Hope that I can learn more each day in this Hotel.
Pros
Meal for staff is provided
good money but work hard
banquet (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur13 November 2017
Mostly is a part time job. Must have waiter skills and language skills. Always prepare for the job event and must be neat and tidy. Need to be strong in mental and physical.
Pros
free food and good pay
Cons
work really hard and strict
Place to learn new things and hotel culture
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Kuala lumpur26 October 2017
Senior or head take advantage on junior.judge without find out truth. always cut guest treatment time but head seriously take side of them.no hygiene and selfish.
Pros
Free lunch
Fun, new experience, friendly with guests, team partnership provide excellent, love between friends, colleagues are very helpful, good management
COMMIS 2 (Former Employee) –  Putrajaya9 December 2016

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3